Blayney Shire Council


Types of Developments


State Significant Development

State Significant Development is development involving major projects of State or Regional significance. Applications for State Significant Development are to be lodged with, assessed and determined by the Department of Planning and Environment.

Integrated Development

Integrated Development is development where licences/approvals/permits are needed from specified State Government Agencies as well as requiring Council consent. These applications are referred to the relevant state body who will provide Council with terms and conditions for inclusion in any development consent. When lodging an application with Council you need to check if your development is likely to be integrated. Should your application be integrated development you need to lodge additional copies of the development application and documentation together with an additional fee for each State approval body. Council will forward these to the relevant State agency for its consideration.

Types of Interated Development

Some developments will require integrated development consent from Council and one or more approvals under other Acts from State Government Departments and Public Authorities. A list of the types of development which will require approval from another authority are listed below. If your application is for Integrated Development, you are required to tick the appropriate boxes on the Approvals Application Form.




Fisheries Management Act 1994






aquaculture permit

permit to carry out dredging or reclamation work in any waters

permit to cut, remove, damage or destroy marine vegetation on public water land or an aquaculture lease, or on the foreshore of any such land or lease

Heritage Act 1977


approval in respect of the doing or carrying out of an act, matter or thing referred to in s57(1)

(lncludes to The Saddlery, Carcoar; Carcoar School of Arts; Old Rectory; Carcoar; Junction Reefs Dam; Uniting Church and Hall Blayney; Grand Western Lodge, Millthorpe)

Mine Subsidence Compensation Act 1961


approval to alter or erect improvements within a mine subsidence district or to subdivide land therein.
(Not applicable to Blayney Shire)

National Parks & Wildlife Act 1974


Grant of Aboriginal heritage impact permit

Petroleum (Onshore) Act 1991


grant of production lease.

Roads Act 1993




consent to:

a. erect a structure or carry out a work in, on or over a public road, or

b. dig up or disturb the surface of a public road, or

c. remove or interfere with a structure, work or tree on a public road, or

d. pump water into a public road from any land adjoining the road, or

e. .connect a road (whether public or private) to a classified road

(only applies to Classified Roads in the control of the RMS eg. Mid Western Highway, MR390- to Hobbys Yards, MR7511 - Mandurama to Canowindra, MR245 Blayney to Orange)



Complying Development

Complying development is a combined planning and construction approval for straightforward development that can be determined through a fast track assessment by a council or private accredited certifier. Complying development applies to homes, businesses and industry and allows for a range of things like the construction of a new dwelling house, alterations and additions to a house, new industrial buildings, demolition of a building and changes to a business use.

For more information about Complying Developments please visit the State Government Legislation website, or contact Council.


Exempt Development

An Exempt development is a low impact form of development that can be untaken without the need for planning or construction approval. However, other legislative requirements for approvals, licences, permits and authorities still apply.

For more information about Exempt Developments please visit the State Government Legislation website, or contact Council.


Local Development

A Local Development is a development which requires consent from Council before it can be carried out. This includes most:
  • New buildings, alterations or additions to existing buildings.
  • Change of use of an existing building or premises. (If taking over an existing business, you should check with Council to find out whether the business has a valid development consent).
  • Demolition of dwellings, heritage items or any building within a conservation area.
  • Earthworks, filling and clearing of land.
  • Subdivision of a parcel of land which includes consolidation of allotments, strata title subdivision of a building, community title subdivision and boundary adjustments.

Designated Development

Designated Development generally comprises projects which have been nominated for particular scrutiny due to potentially significant environmental concerns (such as mines or large piggeries). All Designated Development requires development consent before it can be carried out.  An Environmental Impact Statement must also be prepared and lodged by the applicant.


Last modified: 28 Jul 2016

Blayney Shire Council

91 Adelaide Street, Blayney NSW 2799, Australia
PO Box 62, Blayney NSW 2799, Australia
Telephone: (02) 6368 2104

Council opening hours:
Monday to Friday
9.00am - 4.30pm

Subscribe to our Newsletter


If you would like to keep up to date with local news, events and information from Council, subscribe to Council Connect