Blayney Shire Council


Roads and Traffic


On this page:

Roadside Grazing 

Roads & Bridges 

Alteration of Street Address Numbering

B-Double Routes

Stormwater Drainange

Civil Design Guidelines

Roadside Grazing

Grazing Stock on Roads

Please note the four classes of stock permits are administered by the Local Land Services office, in accordance with the Local Land Services Act, 2013.

Roadside Grazing Stock permits are issued for a short period of time over a specific section of road in times of drought or for hazard reduction. It is also normally issued to the landholder adjoining the area as there are no watering facilities and so stock are moved back to the property at night.
Under Part 6 Travelling stock reserves and public roads; Section 78 Stock permits authorising certain uses of travelling stock reserves and public roads, the Act denotes:

(3) A stock permit cannot be issued authorising a person to graze stock (other than travelling stock) on a                 public road without the concurrence of:

(a) in the case of a public road that is not a Crown road—the local authority in which the road is vested, or
(b) in the case of a Crown road—the Minister administering the Crown Lands Act 1989.

Applications for Roadside Grazing Stock Permits can be obtained from your Local Land Services office, or contacting them on 1300 795 299


Allow a minimum of 2 weeks lead time for Council approval and Local Land Service administration. 

1. Submit form to your Local Land Services
2. Local Land Services will forward the form onto Council for approval
3. Local Land Services will advise applicant of outcome

Also please note that Council reserves the right to revoke its approval where road or other damage is occurring or is likely to occur.

This being the case, Council will consent to the issue of temporary grazing permits for roads in the Local Government Area by the relevant Local Land Services pursuant to the Local Land Services Act 2013 and Regulation 2014, subject to:
Section 78 Stock permits authorising certain uses of travelling stock reserves and public roads

1. Any person grazing stock on a road under Council care and control shall take out a Public Liability                     Insurance Policy to cover any accident that may occur, with a recommended minimum level of indemnity           of $20 million, and such policy shall be suitably endorsed to cover Council.

2. Any condition/requirement imposed by the Local Land Services under the Local Land Services Act 2013           and Regulation 2014.

Grazing domestic stock along roadsides is often a necessary activity, and is accepted where it is a legitimate part of property management, but it should also be recognised that grazing can severely affect native vegetation, and in particular impede regeneration of native species. This being the case where the Road Reserves are under Council care and control and contain important native vegetation, the use of alternative roadsides will be encouraged where this is a practical option. 

It should also be noted that Permit Conditions may change depending on such things as the season, weather conditions, road works, weed spraying etc.

Under the Local Land Services Act 2013 and Regulation 2014, all applicable fees are collected by Local Land Services, not Council.

Please see the Local Land Services Fact Sheet “Control of Stock on Roads and Reserves”, and in particular the requirement for stock on public roads and travelling stock to be kept under control at all times.

Further background information and the process involved can be downloaded here

Council is responsible for a 747km sealed and unsealed road network, 68 bridges and 17 km of the State Road Network.

To protect and prolong the life of the road and bridge network, Council has finalised an Asset Management Plan for all Transport related assets, including; 747km of roads; 68 bridges; 66km of kerb and gutter; 37kms of footpath; 17 kms of urban stormwater drainage and over 1,200 culverts in rural areas. This plan sets out how council will maintain these assets to an acceptable standard over the next 20 years and provides a guide to the rehabilitation and/or replacement of road and bridge assets over that period, within the constraints of available funding.

Council also works closely with other bodies, including the Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA) and the Central Regional Organisation of Councils (CENTROC) Weight of Loads Group (WLOG) to maintain and enhance the standards of roads within the Blayney Shire.

The Local Traffic Committee, provides advice and guidance to Council on matters related to road safety across the Shire. The Road Safety Officer, who is jointly engaged Blayney Shire Council, Bathurst Regional Council and the RTA works with Council, the Traffic Committee and other community stakeholders to raise public awareness and improve the safety of the regions roads and road users.

Alteration of Street Address Numbering

Owners may apply to Council seeking to alter an existing street address number.

Councils have the responsibility under NSW law to regulate the allocation of street address numbers. Council's power to regulate street address numbering is pursuant to Section 124 (order No.8) of the Local Government Act 1993.

The main request for changes to street numbering comes from the owners of land on corner sites or multiple street frontages.  Other requests are varied but include reasons of superstition, religious beliefs or providing better clarity on property location. 

The relevant consideration for Council in determining whether or not a street number should be altered are the public interest issues.

Fees are applicable in accordance with Council’s Fees and Charges as determined by council annually.

All requests for altered street numbering must be submitted in writing on the required form, with payment made at time of application.

Change of Street Address Application Form (PDF 127.4KB)

B-Double Routes

B-Doubles or Restricted Access Vehicles (RAV) are only permitted to use specific roads across the Blayney Shire area. Compliance in the use of our roads is managed by CENTROC Weight of Loads Group officers, the Roads and Traffic Authority and NSW Police. 

What is a Restricted Access Vehicle?

A Restricted Access Vehicle includes:
  • B-Doubles (19 metre B-Doubles operating at full axle loads, i.e. 55.5 tonnes, 23 metre B-Doubles and 25/26 metre B-Doubles)
  • 4.6 metre high vehicles
  • Road Trains  

Restricted Access Vehicles Routes (RAV) within the Blayney Council area, can be found by accessing the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS/RTA) Authority RAV maps

How RAV Routes are determined?

Blayney Shire Council is responsible for determining whether larger freight vehicles are suitable to operate on its local roads. 

Applications for B-Double routes should be submitted to Council on the designated form provided with the RTA document "Route Assessment Guidelines for Restricted Access Vehicles". 

Determination of a RAV route is undertaken by the Local Traffic Committee, and includes:
  • Assessment of the proposed route in the specific vehicle
  • A community consultation process (as required)
  • Council and RTA approval 
Working with local heavy vehicle owners and operators, Council can:
  • Assist in linking towns, existing heavy transport routes and new industrial or commercial  developments to enable the use of RAV's
  • Assist in improving the economic development and commercial sustainability of the region

Stormwater Drainage

Council maintains a variety of stormwater drainage assets, including pipes, culverts, kerb and gutter, drainage channels and detention basins. Council manages a routine maintenance program, and regularly inspects and maintains these drainage structures and repairs them as the need arises.

During large storms, many of the pipes and culverts can become full and overflow. The system is unable to cater for all large storm events and it is intended that overflow water then flows along streets and roads. Members of the public should not be alarmed should they see storm water flowing along roads.

Civil Design Guidelines

Blayney Shire Council in conjunction with its WBC Alliance Partners, Wellington Council, Cabonne Council and Central Tablelands Water has developed a consistent set of Civil Design Guidelines and Civil Design Drawings for the design of engineering works within the Blayney Shire Council Local Government Area and the Alliance region as a whole.

Last modified: 22 May 2018

Working within the Road Reserve

Working within the Road Reserve
For work within the road reserve (including the footpath/nature strip/road pavement etc.), applicants or their appointed agents must apply for a Road Opening Permit.

Blayney Shire Council

91 Adelaide Street, Blayney NSW 2799, Australia
PO Box 62, Blayney NSW 2799, Australia
Telephone: (02) 6368 2104

Council opening hours:
Monday to Friday
9.00am - 4.30pm

Subscribe to our Newsletter


If you would like to keep up to date with local news, events and information from Council, subscribe to Council Connect