Home-Blayney Shire Council-Logo

Section 68 (s68)

 On-site wastewater systems

An on-site sewage management system (OSMS) is the process used to treat domestic sewage which may be used in the processes of a septic tank, an aerated waste treatment system (AWTS) etc.

The effluent is disposed of either by direct absorption trenches, irrigated onto the land or contained in a holding tank to be pumped out by an appropriate person.

All new OSMS systems and modifications to existing OSMS systems within the Blayney Local Government Area (LGA) must have prior approval under section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993.

The easy septic guide is a useful guide for all residents that live outside of Council’s reticulated sewer system (land not within Blayney or Millthorpe Village).
The guide provides tips, tricks and explanations to ensure that property owners know how to maintain and care for their on-site waste management system.

A poorly managed on-site waste management system can have negative effects on both environmental and human health. If you are concerned about a failing OSMS system or the likelihood of a failing system, please report it to us and we will investigate immediately or as soon as practicably possible.

For more information regarding on-site waste management systems please refer to Council’s DCP Part G - Environment Management and Hazards.

Water supply, sewerage & stormwater work

  • Carry out water supply work.
  • Draw water from a Council water supply or a standpipe (including selling of the water).
  • Install, alter, disconnect or remove a meter connected to a service pipe.
  • Carry out sewerage work.
  • Carry out stormwater drainage work.
  • Connect a private drain or sewer with a Council controlled public drain or sewer.

Temporary structures & places of public entertainment

  • Install a manufactured home, moveable dwelling or associated structures.

Management of waste

  • Transport waste over or under a public place.
  • Put waste in a public place.
  • Put a waste storage container in a public place.
  • Dispose of waste into a Council sewer.
  • Install, construct or alter a waste treatment device, or a human waste storage facility (such as a ‘septic tank’), or, a drain connected to such a facility or device.
  • Operate an on site sewage system (OSMS).

Community Land

  • Engage in a trade or business.
  • Direct or procure a theatrical, musical or other entertainment for the public on community land.
  • Construct a temporary enclosure for the purpose of entertainment.
  • Play a musical instrument or sing on community land for fee or reward.
  • Set up, operate or use a loudspeaker or sound amplifying device on community land.
  • Deliver a public address or hold a religious service or a public meeting on community land. Public Roads
  • Swing or hoist goods across or over any part of a public road by means of a lift, hoist or tackle over the footway.
  • Expose, or allow to be exposed (whether for sale or otherwise) any article in, on, or to overhang any part of the road or outside a shop window or doorway abutting the road, or to hang an article beneath an awning over the road.

Other activities

  • Operate a public car park.
  • Operate a caravan park or camping ground.
  • Operate a manufactured home estate.
  • Install or operate an amusement device.
  • Use a standing vehicle or any article for the purpose of selling any article in a public place.
  • Carry out an activity prescribed under the Local Government Regulations.
For further information please see NSW Planning Portal.


Last modified: 23 Sep 2021